A major Twitter service has stopped working after it was forced to block a large number of accounts, according to a report published on Tuesday.
The company said it had taken action after “a number of incidents” were discovered that had been “inadvertently introduced” to its system.
The Twitter account of one woman who posted the message: “We have been hacked by some very bad people,” was blocked.
Another tweet from an account belonging to a man, who has an online presence with the name “John Smith”, was also blocked.
The blocking was prompted by a “significant spike” in tweets that “had been erroneously introduced” into the service’s system, the report said.
However, it added that Twitter had not yet confirmed the reason for the blocking and had not responded to a request for comment.
“This is not the first time that Twitter has made this mistake, and the decision to block accounts was taken after a large volume of new accounts were identified as being in breach of Twitter’s terms of service,” the company said in a statement.
The block on @twitter is a small step towards the removal of abuse and misinformation on the platform.
Twitter has long faced criticism for allowing the spread of misinformation and hate speech on its platform, with a number of the company’s users complaining that it does not enforce its terms of conduct properly.